Sugar Baby is a small, round melon that, at 6 to 8 inches across, readily fits in the icebox. One of the sweetest of all cultivars, Sugar Baby dates back to 1956. It’s great for the home gardener, especially in climates with short growing seasons. Sugar Baby has a thick, very dark green rind. This is a seeded watermelon with relatively few seeds.
- Full sun
- 6.5 to 7.5
- not frost hardy
- Vines need 12 feet of space
- Water deeply 1 to 2 inches per week
- keep soil moist but not waterlogged
- 68 to 86 days to harvest
- Each plant produces two or three melons
- Flesh is red, firm and crisp
- Weighs 8 to 10 lbs.
Have you grown Sugar Baby watermelons? If so, tell us your top tips for ensuring a delicious harvest.