The Ice Queen is all ruffly on the outside and crispy and textured on the inside. This heirloom French crisphead lettuce has been a prime choice since the late 1800s. Known in French as Reine Des Glaces.
- Full to partial sun (six to eight hours)
- 6.2 to 6.8
- 4 to 9
- Thin to 6 to 12 inches apart
- Plant rows 12 inches apart
- Water deeply 1 inch a week; do not let soil dry out
- Excellent heat tolerance
- Thin rows to 6 to 12 inches, depending on how big you want the heads to grow.
- Harvest whole heads by cutting off at the base, or snip off individual leaves as you want them.
Have you ever tried growing Ice Queen lettuce? Are there any challenges you face growing it? Please tell us about your best tips for growing Ice Queen lettuce.