Food Gardening Network

Growing Good Food at Home

Nutrition Facts about Blueberries

Close-up of blueberries

Blueberries are delicious, nutritious, and an easy go-to snack. Beyond their deliciousness, they have gained a reputation as a superfood, packed with nutrients and disease-deflecting antioxidants.

The water content of blueberries is around 84%. The other 16% consists mainly of carbohydrates and sugars, plus beneficial fiber.

Here are the nutrients in 1 cup (148 g) of blueberries:

The main plant compounds in blueberries are:

  • Flavonoids. These are the natural plant pigments that give blueberries their deep, rich color. They also help improve your memory.
  • Anthocyanin. Anthocyanin is a type of flavonoid that has a powerful antioxidant effect—that’s good news for your cells. Antioxidants counter the effects of free radicals—byproducts of exercising, digesting, even breathing. Researchers think the anthocyanin in blueberries can help lower your blood pressure, improve lung function, and help prevent cancer, heart disease, and premature aging.
  • Lutein. An antioxidant essential for healthy eyes.
  • Zeaxanthin. Another antioxidant that promotes optical health.

Did you know all these nutrition facts about blueberries? Please tell us what you think.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Enter Your Log In Credentials

This setting should only be used on your home or work computer.

Need Assistance?

Call Food Gardening Network Customer Service at
(800) 777-2658