I don’t know about you, but when I have a fresh batch of asparagus, I am so excited to begin making recipes with it. Now that my asparagus has been growing for many years, I always have a huge crop that I need to find even more ways to cook. That’s why I love this Healthy Cream of Asparagus Soup – it’s a great way to use up extra asparagus!
I always make this soup for my daughters when they’re even just a little bit under the weather and the “thank you’s” are always heartfelt. This soup in particular is a fond memory — the two of them collaborated on making some for me when I was sick with a nasty cold. It really warms you from the inside!
It’s the perfect comfort food for anyone who needs it, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy it when you’re in tip-top shape. Instead of a cream base, it uses Yukon Gold potatoes, low-sodium vegetable broth and Greek yogurt to make the soup smooth and velvety while also boosting its nutrition content.
The combination of flavors from the leeks, asparagus and garlic give this Healthy Cream of Asparagus Soup a wonderful depth that makes it perfect as an appetizer or as a light meal accompanied by a small salad and a slice of bread. Don’t waste a fresh batch of asparagus by not knowing what to do with it — try making this healthy, tasty soup!Print
Healthy Cream of Asparagus Soup
A bowl of this Healthy Cream of Asparagus Soup will enchant anyone with its creamy texture and high nutrition content — instead of cream, it uses Yukon Gold potatoes and Greek yogurt.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Soups
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped leeks (white and light green parts)
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt, plus more for serving
- Snipped fresh chives (optional, for garnish)
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or similar size saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks begin to soften, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the broth, asparagus, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- With an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. (You can also carefully transfer it to a blender or food processor in batches and blend it that way. Be careful as hot soup tends to splatter!)
- Return the blended soup to the pot and let cool a few minutes. Stir in the Greek yogurt, then season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with snipped fresh chives, a dollop of yogurt, or both.
Want a home garden crop that will produce delicious, nutritious, stately vegetables for decades? Then plant asparagus. You’ll need a little patience at first, but once established, asparagus will reward you for years to come. With our Asparagus—King of the Garden Gardening Guide, you’ll have everything you need to know about growing and enjoying this versatile food. Check it out!
Have you tried this Healthy Cream of Asparagus Soup recipe? It’s so easy and will fill you up when you want a light, but nutritious lunch. Please tell us how it turned out for you.