Jersey Giant asparagus is one of a group of three popular “Jersey” asparagus series, including Jersey Knight and Jersey Supreme. You can’t go wrong with any of these hybrid varieties, but many gardeners like Jersey Giant for its high yield of male-only plants and tender, flavorful spears. This variety also resists asparagus rust and fusarium rot, and is one of the most winter hardy varieties. Its foliage grows in shades of green, up to 5 feet high. With its large, tasty spears, you can serve Jersey Giant asparagus alone as a green vegetable with little or no adornments, or as part of a more complex dish.
- Full sun (six to eight hours)
- 6.5 to 7.0
- 3 to 10
- 12 to 16 inches apart
- Water deeply 1 inch a week; do not let soil completely dry out
- Large spears with grayish purple tips
- Resistant to rust and rot
- Plant grows to 4 to 5 feet, spears 7 to 9 inches
- Produces all-male plants
- Meaty, succulent spears lend themselves to any type of dish
Do you grow Jersey Giant asparagus? If so, please tell us your top tips for ensuring a delicious harvest.