Crispy, Creamy Wontons
A recipe that’s both crispy and creamy at the same time? That’s what you get when you enjoy these homemade wontons. With a crispy outside and a soft cream cheese center, these are one of those appetizers that’ll be gone before all the guests have even arrived.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 wontons 1x
- Category: Appetizers
- 1/2 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 scallion, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch sea salt
- 12 wonton wrappers (see note)
- Vegetable or canola oil, for frying
- Plum sauce and/or sweet and sour sauce
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, scallion, lemon pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and sea salt. Using a small ice cream scoop, place a teaspoon-size ball of cream cheese mixture in the center of each wrapper. Dip your finger in water and moisten the corners of the wrapper, then fold up and seal.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the wontons and fry until golden brown on each side, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool slightly. Serve with plum sauce or sweet and sour sauce, or both!
- If you can’t find wonton wrappers, feel free to cut an egg roll wrapper into 4 small squares.