Romanesco Fennel is a Florence Fennel heirloom variety—the “bulbing” type of fennel that grows easily and that reliably produces pastel-green oval bulbs and feathery tops. Use the crispy bulbs in a salad, when sliced raw, or you can grill, roast, or sauté them for a juicy, sweet anise flavor to go with other vegetables as a side dish. The feathery and leafy tops can be used as herb seasoning when chopped and spread over some salmon, for example.
- Grows up to 5 feet tall and 1½ feet across
- Long, fine, dark-green feathery tops
- Plant after danger of hard frost is over
- Likes fertile soil and full sun
- Can be started from seeds indoors
- Heavy feeder, so fertilize every 2-3 weeks with high-nitrogen fertilizer
- Moderate to high-level watering requirements
- Sweet anise-celery flavor
Have you tried Romanesco Heirloom Fennel? Tell us your experience growing Romanesco Heirloom Fennel by commenting below.