This is the go-big-or-go-home variety of lemon trees. The Ponderosa lemon is a cross between the traditional lemon and the citron. The result—lemons the size of grapefruits! If you love lemons, you’ll love the Ponderosa. Not only does it produce giant-size lemons, it produces them year-round! Ponderosa lemons are very juicy, and their thick skin and bumpy rind are perfect for zesting.
- Full to partial sun (six to eight hours)
- 5.5 to 6.5
- 4 to 11 – patio
- 8 to 11 – outdoors
- plant at least 20 feet away from other trees
- Water trees in ground deeply once per week
- Avoid soggy soil
- Container trees may need to be watered daily during hottest months
- Mature height: 12 to 24 feet
- Mature width: 10 to 12 feet
- Harvest year-round, with peak picking season from late spring through early summer
- Can fruit in the first year
- Cold-hardy to 30 degrees F
Do you grow Ponderosa lemons? What do you like about them? Please tell us about your Ponderosa lemons.