Orion Fennel is a Florence Fennel variety—the “bulbing” type of fennel that is great for cooking. Orion Fennel is an herb, spice, and vegetable—like most fennel—all in one! This variety is perfect for beginner gardeners, or anyone new to growing fennel, because it’s so easy to grow and hardy. Orion Fennel was bred to produce larger, juicier bulbs than other types of fennel. And the fronds are less dense, so they won’t overshadow other plants in your garden.
Orion Fennel is easy to grow and is resistant to tip burn—it can be grown in containers and started indoors, too.
- Grows up to 3 feet tall and 1 1/2 feet across
- Feathery dark green tops
- Likes a lot of sun, but needs partial shade during hotter days
- Likes cooler temperatures and can even tolerate a light frost
- Can be grown as a perennial, all year long, in warmer climates
- Moderate to high-level watering requirements
- Sweet anise-celery flavor
Have you tried Orion Fennel? Tell us how it tasted to you compared to other varieties by commenting below.