If you’d like to be able to just walk out to the garden to pick your dessert fresh off the plant, the Black Velvet gooseberry is a good choice. The berries ripen to a rich, dark red, and the plants produce high yields once they’re established. Use them in fruit salad, as ice cream topping, in pies and preserves.
- Mature height: 3 to 5 feet
- Mature width: 3 to 5 feet
- Hardiness Zones: 3 to 7
- Chill Hours: 1,000 (minimum)
- Sunlight: Partial to full
- Harvest time: June to July
- Bearing Age: Two to three years after planting
- Good for preserves, pies, fresh eating
- Cold-hardy to -40 degrees F
Have you ever grown Black Velvet gooseberries? Please tell us your favorite thing about them and your experiences growing Black Velvet gooseberries.