Food Gardening Network

Growing Good Food at Home

Mequoda Publishing Network

Nutrition Facts about Cucumbers

Learn nutrition facts about cucumbers to find out exactly which nutrients are found in cucumbers—and to what degree—along with the most common compounds available in this healthful vegetable.

A healthy cucumber-based protein shake.

A healthy cucumber-based protein shake.

The water content of cucumbers is around 96%—the other 4% consists mainly of carbohydrates and fiber. Cucumbers are a good source of fiber, especially if you leave the skin on, providing about 2 grams per average-sized cucumber.

Here is the nutrition information for a typical 1/2-cup serving of raw (with peel) cucumbers:

Cucumber Nutrition

The main plant compounds in cucumbers are:

  • Cucumerin A and B.These triterpene phytonutrients have been studied for their effectiveness in preventing some cancer
  • An antioxidant that has anti‐inflammatory, anti-cancer, and neuroprotective effects.
  • This flavonoid has been shown to decrease inflammation and have antioxidant, anti-aging, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial benefits, as well as having positive effects on the heart and nerves.
  • An antioxidant compound studied for its heart health, diabetic, and anti-inflammatory benefits.

Did you know all these nutrition facts about cucumbers? Please tell us what you think.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Enter Your Log In Credentials

This setting should only be used on your home or work computer.

Need Assistance?

Call Food Gardening Network Customer Service at
(800) 777-2658

Send this to a friend