Watermelon radish is a ball-shaped, gently sweet, and less peppery winter radish that features white skin and a bright pink interior reminiscent of a watermelon.
Days to maturity
- 60 days
- Full sun in spring/fall and partial/full shade in summer
- 5.8 to 6.8
- Zones 2 to 9 (shade cloth may be needed in higher zones)
- Plants: 1 inch apart
- Rows: 6 to 8 inches apart
- 1 inch per week
- Plant in mid-summer to harvest in the fall, they will sweeten as temperatures drop
- Harvest when 2 to 4 inches in diameter
- Don’t add nitrogen to soil or you’ll end up with big tops and small bulbs
- Germinate in soil that is 65 to 85 degrees F
Have you ever grown Watermelon radishes? Please tell us about your experiences.