If you need a flavorful, versatile onion that stores well, you’ve come to the right place. Southport Red Globe onions develop a glossy purple-red flesh with a flavor that’s not too spicy—however, they can make you cry. Deer do not like these onions at all, which makes them a great border plant in your garden. The Southport Red Globe onion is a great choice for gardeners in the north.
- Long day onion variety
- Hardiness Zone: 2 to 9, but does best in the northern states
- Days to Maturity: 100 to 120 days
- Pests/Diseases: thrips, onion fly, nematodes, and bulb rot
- Color: red
- Flavor: pungent but not too spicy
- Storage: 2 to 3 months
- Uses: salads, cooking, grilling
Have you ever tried growing Southport Red Globe onions? Are there any challenges you face growing Southport Red Globe onions? Please tell us your best tips for growing Southport Red Globe onions.