Enjoy the snappy crispness of an iceberg lettuce with rich red leaves, a sweet taste, and a higher nutritional value than other iceberg lettuce. The Red Iceberg’s outer leaves are a stunning, deep reddish bronze. This uncommon variety forms fairly tight heads of 8 to 10 inches that hold for a long time. Matures in 70 to 80 days.
- Full to partial sun (six to eight hours)
- 6.2 to 6.8
- 4 to 9
- Thin to 6 to 12 inches apart
- Plant rows 12 inches apart
- Water deeply 1 inch a week; do not let soil dry out
- Sow every two to three weeks for ongoing harvest
- Thin rows to 6 to 12 inches, depending on whether you want baby heads or full heads
- Can snip off individual leaves if desired
Have you ever grown Red Iceberg lettuce? Please tell us your favorite thing about them and your experiences growing Red Iceberg lettuce.