Considered the gourmet’s choice, Purple Passion asparagus is one of the most popular purple varieties. It contains 20% more sugar than green asparagus and takes on a nutty flavor—and turns green—when cooked. Purple Passion asparagus spears are so sweet and tender they can be eaten straight from the garden, as a raw snack with your favorite dip. Not only are the spears a beautiful color, but the Purple Passion’s foliage is light and airy with creamy yellow to green flowers. This asparagus variety is a real stunner in the garden and on your plate!
- Full sun (six to eight hours)
- 6.5 to 7.0
- 3 to 10
- 6 to 8 inches apart
- Water deeply 1 inch a week; do not let soil completely dry out
- Large, deep purple spears
- Somewhat resistant to rust and rot
- Plant grows to 3 to 4 feet; cut spears at 5 inches for best flavor
- Produces mostly all-male plants
- The connoisseur’s choice, raw or cooked
Have you tried growing Purple Passion asparagus? How do you use it? Please tell us your experiences growing Purple Passion asparagus.