Green Ruffles is a variety of Lettuce Leaf basil with a flavor that is more complex than most basils. Green Ruffles basil has multiple tones of cinnamon, citrus, anise, and spice flavor. The decorative and appealing leaves are tasty as well as aromatic, and the flowers are beautiful too—not a bad idea to allow a few plants to go to seed as the flowers attract pollinating bees and are beautiful to view.
- Full sun (six to eight hours)
- 5.5 to 6.5
- 3 to 9 as an annual
- 10 to 11 as a perennial
- 12 inches apart
- Water 1 inch per week
- Keep soil moist but not soggy
- Grows up to 2 feet tall
- Deep green foliage, serrated almost to a point, with ruffled leaf edges
- Pinkish-purple/lavender blooms
- Needs full sun to thrive and is frost-sensitive
- Can be started from seed indoors to get a head start on growing
- Great for cooking in any dish that calls for basil, especially pesto, and is a beautiful decorative addition to the top of any dish
Do you grow Green Ruffles basil? If so, please tell us your top tips for ensuring a bountiful harvest and exactly how you use it.