In the 1950s, the Campbell Soup Company introduced this heirloom okra. Emerald Green Velvet okra has ribbed, dark green pods that stay tender even when they grow to their longer length of up to 8 inches (although you should still harvest them at around 3 to 4 inches). They are excellent in—you guessed it—soup, among other things. Direct seed or transplant.
- Heirloom, open-pollinated variety
- Keeps its color when cooked
- Cut cross sections look like little wagon wheels
- Excellent in soup
- Smooth pods up to 8 inches long
- Plants can reach 8 feet
- Time to maturity: 60 days
Have you ever tried growing Emerald Green Velvet okra? Are there any challenges you face growing them? Please tell us your best tips for growing Emerald Green Velvet.