This lacinato (dinosaur) variety of kale is a favorite of home gardeners and market farmers. The leaves are a bold green, blue, and purple with purple veins. This is one sturdy plant whose flavor improves when the temperatures drop. The leaves are delicious in salads and smoothies.
- full sun (six to 12 hours)
- 6.0 to 7.5
- zones 3 to 9
- ideal temperature: 45 to 85 degrees F
- thin to 8 inches apart
- plant rows 2 feet apart
- 1 to 1 1/2 inches per week
- 30 to 60 days to maturity
- direct sow or seedlings
- frost hardy
- prefers rich soil
- grows up to 26 inches high, 30 inches wide
- plant after spring frost and eight weeks before fall frost
- suitable for container growing
Have you ever grown Dazzling Blue kale? Please tell us about your experiences with Dazzling Blue kale plants.