Apollo (F1) is an early, vigorous asparagus variety. This dark green hybrid is known for its elegant appearance, with smooth, cylindrical, slightly tapering spears and tight tips. The butt and tip ends are tinged with purple. But Apollo is not just pretty. It performs well in both chilly and warm conditions and stands up well to pests and diseases. It freezes beautifully, so you can enjoy Apollo asparagus year-round.
- Full sun (six to eight hours)
- 6.0 to 7.5
- 4 to 9
- 18 inches apart
- Water deeply 1 inch a week; do not let soil completely dry out
- Deep green spears with purple ends
- Plant grows to 3 to 4 feet
- Resists most common asparagus diseases
- Produces male and female plants
- An easy-to-grow variety that tastes great fresh or frozen
Have you ever tried growing Apollo asparagus? Are there any challenges you face growing Apollo asparagus? Please tell us your best tips for growing Apollo asparagus.