I’ll be honest, I’m not a cucumber sandwich kind of person, generally, I don’t eat cucumbers un-pickled at all, and if I didn’t love pickles so much I probably wouldn’t have them in my garden. But I sure do love pickles, in fact, I like them so much that I rarely bother with canning them. Instead, I make batches of “quick pickles” and if you’re wondering how to make pickles from garden cucumbers, I’m happy to show you.
How to Make Pickles from Garden Cucumbers in 30 Minutes
First, let’s talk about “quick pickles”. If you’re going to learn how to make pickles from garden cucumbers, you should understand first what they are!
This recipe ideally calls for the miniature variety of cucumbers, like Picolino or Excelsior varieties, which reach about 4-5 inches long and are thin-skinned. Picolino cucumbers go from seed to table in about 60 days, so they are pretty fast growers, but the benefit of Excelsior cucumbers is that they produce a ton of fruit. Both will benefit from a trellis.
This recipe makes about 2 cups of pickles, perfect to go with hotdogs and hamburgers for a group of four unless you’re like me and need a bowl to yourself. They’re put together quickly and simply marinate while you’re cooking the rest of your meal, and go great on top of pulled pork sandwiches, too.Print
Quick Pickles Recipe
This recipe makes about 2 cups of pickles, perfect to go with hotdogs and hamburgers for a group of four unless you’re like me and need a bowl to yourself. They’re put together quickly and simply marinate while you’re cooking the rest of your meal, and go great on top of pulled pork sandwiches, too.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- 3 miniature cucumbers
- 2 tbsp raw organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Freshly ground peppercorns, to taste
- Slice your cucumbers into rounds at least 1/8”, or thinner if you like, and add to a small bowl. Depending on the size of your cucumbers, you’ll get about 1 cup if you cut them super thin, and up to 2 cups with thicker cuts.
- Add apple cider vinegar, honey, salt, and a few cracks of freshly ground peppercorns, then toss.
- Let sit for at least 30 minutes while you cook dinner, then enjoy on top of burgers, dogs, sandwiches, or alone with a fork!
More Recipes Using Cucumbers
If your cucumber plant is bearing a lot of fruit and you want to know more than just how to make pickles from garden cucumbers, our Cucumbers Collection includes a number of recipes that will help you use, preserve, and enjoy your bounty, including:
- Tzatziki Cucumber Recipe
- Gazpacho Cucumber Recipe
- Cucumber Martinis
- Easy Asian Cucumber Salad
- Traditional Greek Cucumber Salad
- Shrimp and Cucumber Rounds
What are your favorite ways to use cucumbers from your garden? Do you already know how to make pickles from garden cucumbers? I’d love to hear your recipes in the comments below. And if you try this recipe, let me know what you think!