Do you ever just wish you could enjoy the finer things in life with reckless abandon? Trying to moderate your sodium, sugar, cholesterol, or calorie intake can sometimes feel like walking through a dangerous (yet very temptingly tasty) minefield.
Well, rejoice! This Low-Carb Yellow Squash Casserole is as delicious as sin but you can enjoy as much of it as you want. It satisfies a low-carb diet and provides a convenient way to use up a big harvest of summer squash. Heavy whipping cream for a delightfully smooth and creamy texture, shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese for that subtly sweet and slightly tangy bite, topped with smoky, salty roasted almonds — there’s no better way to enjoy summer squash. You can even serve it as a dip during snack time along with some chips and crackers, or you can serve it as a side during lunch or dinner. Instead of your typical mashed potatoes, why not try making this casserole your companion for steak night?
Now, I can’t take all the credit for thinking up this particular casserole — I have to extend my thanks to one of my dear neighbors, who offered it up as a suggestion when I was asking around for recipe ideas. She and her husband had been trying to commit to a healthier diet, and this Low-Carb Yellow Squash Casserole had become a staple in their household’s menu. She traded me tips on how to cook it for some squash from my garden, and I happily obliged. Little acts of kindness make the world go round and the kitchen a happier place — try cooking up this casserole and share some with your neighbors!Print
Low-Carb Yellow Squash Casserole
This Low-Carb Yellow Squash Casserole is the best way to use up a summer squash harvest — it’s cheesy, creamy, and velvety smooth.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 cups peeled and cubed yellow squash
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped raw almonds
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (or substitute milk for a lower-fat version)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped roasted, salted almonds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Heat olive oil and butter in a skillet over medium-high heat; cook and stir onion and garlic in the hot oil-butter mixture until softened, about 3 minutes. Add squash, salt, and pepper; stir to combine. Cover skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until squash is softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer squash mixture to a large bowl.
- Mix raw almonds and 1/2 cup Colby-Monterey Jack cheese together in a bowl; stir into squash mixture. Whisk cream and eggs together in a measuring cup or small bowl; stir into squash mixture. Pour squash mixture into a 9×13-inch casserole dish; top with remaining Colby-Monterey Jack cheese and roasted almonds.
- Bake in the preheated oven until casserole is golden brown and bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes.
Have you tried making this Low-Carb Yellow Squash Casserole? It’s so easy and delicious—please tell us how it turned out for you.
Whether you’ve grown summer squash before, or you’ve only thought about trying it, you’re bound to learn something from our Summer Squash Collection. Summer squash is fairly easy to grow, requiring little more than the usual water maintenance and pest and disease vigilance, but we can help you navigate everything from starting seeds, planting, transplanting, and dealing with pesky issues like powdery mildew, should it come up. Check out our Summer Squash Collection.