Lightened-Up Strawberry Breakfast Bars
It’s hard to find a better breakfast combination than strawberries and oats. These lightened-up breakfast bars are super simple to make and perfect for grabbing and enjoying while you’re on the go and out the door. The dark brown sugar adds a hint of caramel-like flavor to give this dish some extra sweetness without extra granulated sugar.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 12 bars 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 2 cups strawberries, diced small
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the strawberries, granulated sugar, and lemon juice. Set aside and allow to macerate while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- In another medium bowl, combine the oats, ﬂour, brown sugar, ginger, and salt. Pour in the melted butter and stir until everything is well combined. The mixture will be crumbly and loose. Measure out ½ cup of the crumble mixture and set aside. Carefully press the remaining mixture into an even layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Scatter the strawberry mixture over the crust. Lightly sprinkle cornstarch over the top of the strawberries, followed by the reserved crumbs.
- Bake the bars for 45 to 50 minutes until the bottom is ﬁrm and the topping is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting.
- Cut into 12 bars and serve.